Minors not a single drop educational programme
To delay the onset of alcohol consumption and reduce the number of underage drinkers.
To reduce the quantity of alcohol consumed by underage drinkers.
To raise awareness of the effects of underage drinking.
The Alcohol and Society Foundation works on the main source of influence to pupils: Teachers, families, and students. The educational offer includes three main parts:
- The school programme
- The website programme: www.lascarasdelalcohol.com.es
- The conferences for parents programme
School Programme: The school programme is carried out by specially trained experts and is held in secondary schools (targeted at students aged 12 to 18 years old). In 2020, due to the Covid-19 situation the school programme was held online but was available in presential upon request.
The programme is supported by guides for students, teachers and families.
- The teacher’s guide covers topics such as: the programme and their role in it; adolescents and the effects of alcohol on their bodies. It also has 21 exercises divided according to age group, covering health, peer and social pressure.
- The student’s guide covers topics such as: the effects of alcohol on their bodies; reasons why adolescents should not drink alcohol, myths and facts about alcohol, and what the law says about drink-driving or consumption by pupils. All the issues covered in the guide are discussed during workshops.
- The parent’s guide covers topics such as: How to deal with adolescents, when and why do they begin to drink? How much and in which way do they drink? It also provides tips and tools for talking to their children about alcohol, and the necessary information to talk about the risks associated with underage drinking.
Workshops: In addition, workshops for parents and students are also held.
- Student workshops are tailored by age group and run by fully trained professionals, and all the issues covered in the guide are discussed. In 2020, about 30% of the workshops for students were held online.
- Family workshops: Parents may also attend the family workshops “Charla y Escuela para padres y madres” (Talk and School for parents) organised at the schools where these issues covered in the guide are approached.
University of Barcelona
Institut d'Investigació en Ciències de la Salut Germans Trias i Pujol
Fundación Bosch i Guimpera
Instituto Deusto de Drogodependencias
Autonomous Communities: Catalonia, Madrid, Andalusia , Extremadura and Galicia.
National Pharmaceutical Society
Real Madrid Football club
Athletic Madrid Football club
Results for the 2021-2022 school year:
- 73,325 students from 415 schools took part the programme.
- 264 families attended the 39 workshops for parents.
- 5 teachers used the website programme www.lascarasdelalcohol.es.
Since 2001 over 2,686,451 students from 17,502 schools have taken part in the programme.
Measurement & evaluation
An evaluation carried out in 2021 shows:
- Schools satisfaction: 4.9 out of 5.
- Parents evaluation: 5 out of 5.
- Teacher's evaluation: 5 out of 5.
A longitudinal study with the Instituto Deusto was carried between 2010 and 2015. Final results of the research shows:
- Students who participated in the programme delayed the age of onset. 33.1% said that the information helped them to take the choice to drink less and 38.7% said that they wouldn’t drink anymore.
- The opinion of those who took part in the programme is highly positive, two out of five students interviewed confirmed that they would stop drinking and one out of three students confirmed that they would reduce their alcohol intake. Three out of four students confirmed that their alcohol-related knowledge increased substantially as a result of the programme.
- Those who took part now drink less during the week compared to those who didn’t take part.
- Students who took part over three years reduced the amount and frequency of alcohol consumed. They also reduced weekend alcohol consumption. Average alcohol consumption in the past year was 3.64% for those who took part vs 4.32% for those who did not.