2018 > 2018
To deliver a responsible drinking message in a credible way.
To reach the target audience of 18-24s, in Great Britain and Ireland.
The idea was to use the power and connectivity of music to deliver the “Fun that isn’t remembered, isn't fun” responsible drinking message through Diageo’s brand the Captain Morgan.
Analysis of the Captain Morgan social channels showed fans shared a passion for grime which they enjoyed on a night out. From this, the fully integrated #LiveLikeACaptain campaign was created. Diageo partnered with grime superstar Lady Leshurr and producer Swifta Beater, to write and produce an original track.
The track is hosted on YouTube and tells the story of a typical night out and the familiar pitfalls of drinking to excess, juxtaposed with a night out drinking moderately and having an awesome time with friends. The video was created specifically for social, cut into short, snackable edits, using text message graphics and emojis to tell the story. It premiered on Complex.com – to reach a targeted, passionate audience.
To support this hero video, a suite of tailored social content to fuel a full social amplification plan was created. This included:
- 20 different edits of the full video on Facebook to tease the campaign and drive traffic to the landing page where the full-length video was hosted. A Facebook Canvas delivered a mini version of the www.likeacaptain.com website to a Facebook audience; Lady Leshurr memes fuelled the conversation with fans, who commented on the campaign content and shared it, helping to spread the message further, organically.
- An online hub gave fans a clear destination to learn more. This hosted the full-length music video, tips for responsible drinking on a night out and a responsible drinking quiz. Fans could put their alcohol knowledge to the test and enter a competition to win tickets to an exclusive Lady Leshurr performance.
- Snackable Instagram stories shared tips for a good night out. These 15s vertical videos were promoted by Captain Morgan and shared by Lady Leshurr, to reach her 401K Instagram followers.
- Music fans were targeted, delivering the #LiveLikeACaptain video and message via a Spotify video takeover and sponsored sessions. A custom voiceover from Leshurr encouraged fans to look at their phone and click through to the Like A Captain website to discover the campaign.
- Influencer partners got involved with Ex-England Captain and grime superfan Rio Ferdinand tweeting a video of himself listening to the track, with a message for fans: https://bit.ly/2l9uH6T
Lady Leshurr, grime artist and social influencer with an audience of 1.9 million.
The impact results exceeded all targets and demonstrated that the campaign resonated with the target audience, getting everyone talking, participating and sharing.
In total, there were 3.4 million video views, 17 million were reached and posts had 13.5 million impressions, 45,000 engagements and 50,000 clicks to the website. Also, the video takeover click through rate (CTR) was 225% above the benchmark. In addition, PR coverage across 30 online and print titles generated an estimated 478,000 reach.
The campaign won the following awards:
- UK Content Awards: Social Media Content Campaign of the Year.
- The Drum DADI Content Awards: Best use of Content on a Social Platform and Best use of Website/Video.
- The UK Social Media Communications Awards: Best Integrated Campaign.
- Shorty Awards: Best in Social and Digital Media.
- Digital Impact Awards: Best use of Online Video (Silver) and Best use of Digital from the Food/Beverage sector – (Gold).