If you drink, drink some water in between!
Estonian Association of Alcohol Producers and Importers
2017 > Ongoing
To encourage the responsible alcohol consumption.
To encourage the idea of pacing thus helping to decrease excessive consumption and change drinking habits.
The idea for the campaign came from the “Green Paper on Alcohol Policy”, compiled in 2014 by the Ministry of Social Affairs in collaboration with the private sector and health organisations. The document recommends establishing practices in the private sector which would decrease excessive alcohol consumption and prevent intoxication. Among suggestions is serving alcoholic drinks with free water, as this is not commonplace in Estonian bars. The campaign aims to change this.
The campaign advocates drinking a glass of water in between each glass of alcohol. It also explains that alcohol consumption increases the body’s requirement for fluids and that drinking water helps to pace consumption and thus reduce the overall amount of alcohol consumed. There are two pillars to the campaign, training for bartender students and onsite activations:
- Training: Training is given at the EBA Training Centre, where all bartender students are taught about responsible alcohol consumption, an integral part of which is the emphasis on the importance of water consumption with alcohol, ensuring that the message is spread in bars all over Estonia.
- Onsite activations: Bars encourage patrons to pace their drinks by serving them water using pitchers with the campaign logo. Stickers for restrooms highlight that water should be drank and stickers for doors show the bar’s participation by stating “A venue of wise consumption”. Bottleneck ads are placed on products sold in stores and stores play an audio clip emphasising the importance of water consumption on their internal radios. Campaign branded free water is also handed out at events.
Ad hoc activities are also carried out. EAAPI attended the Estonian Drinks Festival in November 2017 where the campaign results were presented. In November 2019: taxi companies Tulika Takso, Takso24 and Välk Takso provided campaign branded bottles of free water to passengers at the weekends. Branded water was handed out at the Eesti Joogifestival on 11 November and those promising to drink water were also entered into a draw to win a breathalyser.
In May 2020, a fifth wave the campaign was carried out following concerns that the COVID-19 situation would drive some to increase their alcohol consumption. The campaign was tailored to the circumstances and took place online (web and social media), on the radio and audio was played in stores. Consumers were reminded that, no matter where they are (at home, on holiday or at a friend’s) they should always pace their consumption by having a glass of water between alcoholic drinks.
Estonian Bartenders Association
Estonian Sommelier Association
Large retail chains and bars, restaurants and cafes across Estonia
- Radio channels MyHits, Elmar and KuKu reached 500,000 people. The audio clip was played at 91 stores all over Estonia (Prisma, COOP, Maxima, Aldar Market, CityAlko and SuperAlko).
- The Facebook page had been liked over 1,800 16 posts reached 480,000 with 32,300 engagements. 4 Instagram posts reached more than 7,800 and Instagram stories reached 43,600 with 1,000 engagements.
- The Delfi.ee and Postimees.ee website content was shown to 1 million users with 5,000 redirects to the campaign website. In addition, the message was taken up in 7 articles and one lifestyle podcast.
Also, the website had more than 5,000 visitors in 2020.
In November 2019: 67 bars provided free drinking water, 3 taxi companies jointl,y provided 10,000 bottles of free water to passengers and 91 retail stores (COOP, Maxima, Prisma, Aldar, CityAlko and SuperAlko) played the audio clip. By March 2020, the Facebook page had been liked 1,400 times.
In 2018: 650 washroom stickers, 870 table displays, and 650 water pitchers were used in the 103 participating bars which also served free drinking water to customers who consumed alcohol. 650,000 bottleneck ads distributed for products containing alcohol and the audio clip was played in 91 stores. The digital logo was used on the internet and in the alcohol ads of campaign participants and the video clips were displayed in bars and shared on social media. The campaign also had a great amount of media coverage: in total, 49 stories in media (20 during first segment of the campaign and 29 in the autumn). The Facebook page was liked 980 times. The posts reached 323,363 adults, of which 10,308 engaged with the post.
3 bars and one barman were recognised for their contribution to the campaign and for being a role model to others Estonian Drinks Festival in November 2017. Also, feedback was positive.
Measurement & evaluation
In 2020 a post campaign survey was carried out for the first time to measure the impact the five campaign waves. Results showed that 39% of respondents had seen the campaign message. Scaling the representative sample to population level, the message reached around 414,000 adult (18+) Estonians, which is a significant result (around a third of the adult population). Compared to other age groups, people aged between 18 and 34 had seen it significantly more than others. Since the target audience for the campaign is people aged 18-40, it can be concluded that the selected channels have paid off. The campaign will continue with the hope that a solid foundation has been laid for a new, more responsible trend in alcohol consumption.