< BACK TO SEARCH RESULTS
• “Alcohol, Sport and You”
TIMING 2007 > 2014
- Drinkaware (previously MEAS)
- Sports bodies
- Event Organisers
- To inform individuals of the influence of alcohol when taking part in sporting activities.
DESCRIPTION OF THE INITIATIVE
The pocket size guide aims to dispel commonly held fitness myths that fit people can drink more without getting drunk or that hangovers can be sweated out of the body. It contains information about how and why alcohol affects the body and impacts on performance. It also contains simple tips like avoiding alcohol 24 hours before training/playing and drinking lots of water to stay on the ball, and much more!
Key sports organisations have supported distribution of the guide.
Available for download on the drinkaware website.
- Until January 2014, over 397,500 guides have been distributed through a number of channels, including various national governing bodies of sport, and CUSAI (Colleges and Universities Sports Association of Ireland) including:
- 42,000 copies were distributed at the Ladies Mini-Marathon in June, 2009 -2012.
- 11,000 copies were distributed at the Dublin City Marathon in October 2011/2012.
- Qualitative research was carried out in June 2012 to review the drinkaware.ie 'Survival Guide' initiative. drinkaware.ie received positive feedback for the over-all tone and content of the guides.