< BACK TO SEARCH RESULTS
• “Young Addaction Youth Outreach”
COUNTRY United Kingdom
TIMING 2015 > 2015
- To deliver an effective education and prevention support service to young people at risk of alcohol misuse.
DESCRIPTION OF THE INITIATIVE
- Diageo and Asda sponsored a new pilot project in Dundee to deliver an effective education and prevention support service to young people at risk of alcohol misuse. The outreach project developed partnerships and establishes referral routes with frontline services such as, the corner, A&E, police, street pastors and other services that have contact with young people. The purpose is to ensure frontline workers are better equipped to identify and offer support to young people. The outreach project conducts intelligence led outreach, working in partnership with the appropriate agencies to target young people who are drinking in public.
- The funding for this project enables Addaction to employ two full-time equivalent young people’s workers who run outreach, prevention and education work targeted at young people who are, or who are at risk of developing, alcohol misuse problems. These workers:
- Conduct intelligence-led outreach work to target young people who are drinking in public in partnership with the police, street pastors and other relevant agencies.
- Develop referral pathways with services that come into regular contact with young people who have been drinking heavily such as, A&E Departments.
- Conduct brief interventions with young people in A & E settings to raise awareness of the harms of heavy drinking and of the support available.
- Run alcohol awareness sessions in youth settings such as schools and youth clubs, with young people who are identified as being vulnerable to developing alcohol misuse problems (for example, young people with mental health problems or those whose parents have alcohol or drug problems).
- Organise and arrange meaningful diversionary activities that develop young people’s personal and social capital, providing them with positive alternatives to drinking. We will provide a range of social and leisure activities with accredited training and community volunteering.
- Support the development and implementation of peer led support groups which will provide education and information to their peers.
- 3,812 interventions have been delivered since the start of the project .
- 511 young people have received specialist support on NPS (new psychoactive substances ) within off-site education units and all 9 Secondary Schools in Dundee.