< BACK TO SEARCH RESULTS
• “Scotch Whisky Action Fund: Tackling alcohol-related harms”
COUNTRY United Kingdom
TIMING 2013 > Ongoing
- The Scotch Whisky Association
- Foundation Scotland
- The Scotch Whisky industry is and has been involved for many years in a range of initiatives to promote responsible attitudes to alcohol and to tackle alcohol-related harm. The establishment of this Fund by the Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) is a further development of that commitment. A total of £100,000 will be available each year from 2014 to 2018 to promote projects working to reduce alcohol-related harm in Scotland.
- The aim of the Fund is to invest in groups and organisations that wish to reduce the impact of alcohol-related harm in Scotland.
DESCRIPTION OF THE INITIATIVE
- The Fund aims to support and develop a range of projects/initiatives which deliver targeted interventions designed to tackle alcohol-related harms across three themes:
- Young people (aged under 18)
- The Fund particularly welcomes applications from new/innovative or pilot initiatives which aim to test new approaches within these themes and which will offer learning that others can use. Applications from existing projects which can demonstrate success in reducng harm are also welcome.
- Categories of Award: Awards of up to £25,000 for a one year period can be made through the Fund. There are two categories of award as follows:
- Seedcorn funding: Awards made under this category could fund new initiatives and test out innovative approaches designed to reduce alcohol-related harm. Awards could also be used to fund existing smaller scale projects that are seeking to expand or develop their services. Applicants must explain how they plan to evaluate their project if seeking an award under this category.
- Growth and Development: Awards made under this category could fund projects that are seeking to consolidate and build on emerging, successful practice in relation to the reduction of alcohol-related harm. Applicants must provide evidence of evaluation supporting their approach.
- Awards are made by an Independent Awards Panel chaired by a Trustee appointed by the SWA.
- Further details of the Fund can be found here.
- As of September 2016 a total of 22 awards have been made supporting 20 projects across the three themes of the Fund. Details of the projects supported are given in the attached documents.
- Assessing the impact of the Fund and the various initiaitives it supports is an ongoing process. A full review will be conducted after 5 years.
- Foundation Scotland monitors the individual initiatives that receive funding.
- Each initiative that receives funding as part of its application is required to set out how it will evaluate its impact.
- An Impact Report will be published in February 2017.