< BACK TO SEARCH RESULTS
• “Responsible Party”
TIMING 2009 > 2013
- Pernod Ricard
To raise awareness and knowledge among European students (specifically students on the Erasmus exchange program) of the risks associated with inappropriate and excessive alcohol consumption.
To contribute to the reduction of excessive and inappropriate consumption of alcohol among youth.
To help students to organise safe and responsible parties.
DESCRIPTION OF THE INITIATIVE
- Part of the Pan-European Responsible Party campaign. The Swedish Responsible Parties adhere to the same basic rules such as no open bars, no free alcoholic drinks and no advertising of the party based on alcohol and its price.
- Events take place using the European format so include ambassadors, gadgets and surveys.
- In addition to the classic Responsible Party kit, an electronic breathalyser monitor (to give the blood alcohol rate) is used, water is distributed in Responsible Party branded backpacks, cakes and “drunken goggles” are used. The goggles inform students of what it's like to see when drunk.
- Quizzes with questions about responsible binge drinking take place to allow for the distribution of the campaign messages and goodies in a fun way.
- Responsible Party is is present during the main ESN events such as the ESN Sea Battle, a 3 day cruise between Stockholm and Tallinn/Riga which takes place twice per year.
- In May 2011 a party was held in Halmstad reaching 190 students.
- In January 2012 a party was held in Lund reaching 400 students.
- In April 2013 the Responsible Party program was implemented during the “ESN Sea Battle,” 2,500 students were reached. More than 600 litres of water were distributed. 16 Responsible Party Ambassadors raised awareness among their peers on the risks of excessive and inappropriate drinking.
- On November 17 to 19 2013 the fourth "Responsible Party" on "ESN Sea Battle" took place. 15 Ambassadors took part. 1,800 ESN attended. 4,000 cakes and 800 litres of water were given to students.
- Around 25,000 students in the Nordic and Baltic countries have been reached since 2011.
- In 2013 the Responsible Party program was better understood by the students and by ESN. It was perceived as a prevention aspect and not as the topic of the party. The ferry company security crew confirmed that the event made the “ESN Sea Battle” more friendly and safe. The Responsible Party concept was embraced by the students who had fun and the free water was especially popular.
- For more evaluation see the European page.