< BACK TO SEARCH RESULTS
• “Smart Serve”
TIMING 2012 > 2012
- Makro Cash & Carry (Belgium) in 2012
- Conway (2014)
- To increase understanding of responsible serving of alcohol and how to pour, sell and promote alcohol responsibly.
- To ensure that proper standards and restrictions are applied to the consumption and enjoyment of alcohol.
- To provide the owners of bars, clubs and restaurants with tools to help their staff handle conflict and aid the creation of a safe and secure environment for the enjoyment of alcohol on their premises.
DESCRIPTION OF THE INITIATIVE
- The Marko Smart serve campaign is a training tool that is envisaged will enable employees working in the alcohol industry to be more aware of encouraging responsible drinking and how best to enforce existing regulations surrounding the sale and supply of alcohol. Providers of alcohol are trained on responsible serving techniques, how to best enforce the legal age limit and how to further promote responsible drinking.
- The campaign consists of a training pack which includes a best practice guideline document, a Smart Serve training DVD containing different hypothetical scenarios, and training cards. The 4 main areas of focus for the campaign are:
1. To encourage shop and bar owners to strictly enforce the legal age requirements for alcohol and to always ask for ID.
2. To promote the use of designated drivers in order to prevent drink driving and encourage shop and bar owners to promote alternative options.
3. Encourage business owners to create a venue that combines enjoyment of alcohol with a responsible drinking atmosphere.
4. Promote responsible serving measures for alcohol amongst people working in the alcohol sector.
It is envisaged that through this campaign and the training tools provided that employees working in the retail and hospitality sector will be able to promote responsible drinking and self-regulate their own practices surrounding alcohol restrictions and the appropriate serving of alcohol.
- The campaign is supported by a dedicated website (one portal for all countries: England and Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium and Luxemburg.).
- In 2012: 20,000 training packs were distributed to professional Makro shoppers. Makro customers were informed through several channels (Makro folder, website, mailing,…). Key external stakeholders & press contacts received a press release and a copy of the training pack.