< BACK TO SEARCH RESULTS
• “Have fun, be careful”
COUNTRY United Kingdom
TIMING 2009 > 2009
- The Drinkaware Trust
- Brook. Brook is the only national (UK) voluntary sector provider of free and confidential sexual health advice and services specifically for young people under 25.
- To educate young people about alcohol, sexual health and personal safety.
DESCRIPTION OF THE INITIATIVE
- As part of a long term partnership, Drinkaware and Brook joined forces over Christmas and the New Year to educate young people about alcohol, sexual health and personal safety.
- 16 and 17 year olds received a campaign pack, which included, a condom, a bus pass holder and mobile phone credit. They also received a text message on New Years Eve, reminding them to "Have fun" and "Be careful".
- 15,000 packs were distributed to seven pilot areas (Bolton, Belfast, Birmingham, Stockton-on-Tees, Inverness, Liverpool and LB Croydon). These were mainly distributed in colleges, youth organisations, Brook Centres and via Brook outreach workers.
- 1,926 participants registered for the mobile phone credit and messages (about 15% take up). In comparison, a similar campaign carried out by Coca Cola, who distributed the offer via 32 million cans, only received a 4% uptake, so this was a great result.
- Young people who wanted more information were directed to a campaign page hosted on the Brook website. This page received 1,810 unique views, with the majority of referrals coming through Facebook, direct from the packs or from Drinkaware.co.uk.
- The campaign activity received very positive feedback from both 16-17 year olds and professionals. All requested that the campaign be run again next year but with wider coverage. Many requests were received from other areas, outside the pilots, who wanted to take part.