< BACK TO SEARCH RESULTS
• “European Night Without Accident”
TIMING 2009 > 2011
- Drinkaware (previously MEAS)
- Road Safety Authority (RSA)
- The Irish Nightclub Industry Association
- To promote responsible behaviour behind the wheel among young adults, especially those aged between 18 and 28 years.
DESCRIPTION OF THE INITIATIVE
- The Road Safety Authority (RSA)hold "European Night Without Accident" events, part of the pan-European campaign held on the third Saturday of October every year as part of the "Irish Road Safety Week". MEAS participated in the initiative between 2009 and 2011.
- Young adult volunteers encourage groups of young people to designate a driver for the evening. The driver is identified by a bracelet and when leaving the premises he/she is asked to undergo a breathalyser test.
- drinkaware.ie "No Nonsense" student guides and information about what constitutes a standard drink were distributed as part of the RSA goody bag.
- A webpage giving details of venues participating in the campaign was hosted on the drinkaware website.
- In 2011, 6 counties in Ireland took part on Saturday 15th October. The locations were: Kells, Co. Meath, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal, Castlebar, Co. Mayo, Waterford City, and Cork City.
- Results from 2010 "European Night Without Accident" showed 182 young people acted as designated drivers and chose to abstain from drinking and driving on the night.