< BACK TO SEARCH RESULTS
• “International Bartender Association Server Training”
COUNTRY European Union
TIMING 2006 > 2010
- To facilitate and increase the level of awareness of the IBA’s International on-trade servers to their responsibility in ensuring that alcoholic drinks are served responsibly to consumers.
- To achieve an efficient common approach to server standards and responsible serving.
DESCRIPTION OF THE INITIATIVE
- In 2006 Bacardi-Martini entered into a partnership agreement with the IBA to facilitate server training. Bacardi-Martini supplied resources for the design, creation, production and distribution of the IBA’s “Moderation & Responsibility” server training book. The company also worked closely with the IBA to produce the IBA’s Server Training Book, Training Module and Training Course. A training video and online quiz were also produced.
- The information on responsible serving was presented in a very natural way, to make it easy to adopt and to fit into the daily work routine. The importance of knowledge on responsible serving is emphasised with the project and all aspects of alcohol awareness were addressed. Topics covered the importance of adhering to local laws and regulations, information regarding 'what is alcohol?/what are the effects?' to and alcohol & youth. Bartenders were also taught how to deal with people about to pass their limit and how to handle the delicate subject with care.
- Train-the-trainer sessions were a key part of the programme, as they expand the cascade of the project in the on-trade.
- In addition to the IBA programme, Bacardi arranged its own training sessions for bartenders and responsible serving was integrated into these sessions. A train-the-trainer model is also used for Bacardi sessions.
- Training sessions were held throughout the year and each session lasted at least one hour.
- The “Moderation & Responsibility” server training guide was translated into 3 languages: English, German and Spanish. The training manual “Guide to Social Responsibility” was translated into English, Dutch, Greek and Russian.
- Over 40,000 bartenders were trained annually by Bacardi-Martini ambassadors. The training took place in Austria, Germany, Greece, France, Italy, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom.