< BACK TO SEARCH RESULTS
• “Drinkaware Challenge”
COUNTRY United Kingdom
TIMING 2007 > 2008
- The Drinkaware Trust
- UK Youth (national youth work charity)
- Big Lottery Fund
- To engage young people in the practical elements of alcohol education and awareness raising.
DESCRIPTION OF THE INITIATIVE
- The Drinkaware Challenge was produced by UK Youth in collaboration with the Drinkaware Trust and and developed with the help of Big Lottery funding forming part of UK Youth’s accredited Youth Achievement awards.
- A toolkit aimed to provide practitioners with the resources and support required to help young people make informed decisions about alcohol. It included a multitude of resources such as fact sheets, quiz questions and examples of alcohol-themed challenges a DVD showcasing alcohol education projects and a CD Rom to enable workers to print out session plans and evidence sheets. To use the toolkit, practitioners were encouraged by UK Youth to attend a free Drinkaware training event.
- The Challenge addressed alcohol abuse by encouraging young people to think up their own alcohol education projects, for example: campaign media like posters; youth club alcohol policies; first aid projects; presentations or drama. Typically they:
- Considered how alcohol-related issues affected their own lives.
- Improved their knowledge of safe and unsafe levels of drinking.
- Improved their understanding of the place of alcohol in their communities.
- Practised their skills and competence at saying no to alcohol and avoiding unsafe situations.
- Developed an understanding of values and attitudes towards alcohol.
- 21 youth groups were supported and 757 youth workers were trained in how to deliver the Drinkware Challenge module.
- Interest outside the framework of the Awards as the toolkits designed to go with the course were requested by Kent Youth Service for all 80 of their youth workers.
- The Drinkaware Trust part funded an evaluation of the Youth Achievement Award (UK Youth commissioned the Social Features Institute - Small Steps and Giant Leaps: an evaluation of Youth Achievement Award - published April 2009).
- 10 youth centers were visited for case study. Concerning the Drinkaware Challenge results showed:
- Staff at five had received training on the Drinkaware Challenge toolkit
- Four had not yet heard of the Drinkaware challenge, while the remainder expressed an interest in using the toolkit.